Saturday, February 14, 2009

Why this, why now?

In the beginning, I spent untold hours agonizing over grading policies, weighted categories, point values on tests, quizzes, homework. I was unhappy when students refused to work. I was unhappy when students would not take advantage of generous test re-take opportunities. I was unhappy when they failed. Wretch that I am, I was even unhappy when they succeeded! I resented it when students who “played school” well earned excellent grades .. when, in reality, they had not learned nearly enough.

After reading about “the rules” at Granite Middle School in Corbett, Wilson, and Williams’ book, Effort and Excellence in Urban Classrooms: Expecting – and Getting – Success with all Students (2002), I had my aha! moment. I knew this policy was something I needed to try. With permission from my gracious principal and stellar support from my inspiring assistant principal, I launched ABI grading in my classroom.

I am now half-way through my second year using ABI as teaching framework. I still love it. A little article summarizing my experience was published in Middle Ground, October 2008. (view with member access at: www.nmsa.org/Publications/MiddleGround/Articles/October2008/Article3/tabid/1757/Default.aspx) Since then, I have received a number of inquiries about this practice. In an effort to share my experiences further, as well as document for myself what works and what doesn’t, I am endeavoring to create my first blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment