Monday, February 16, 2009

Grading papers: sticker, check, R

The papers I grade and return have one of three marks. A sticker on a test means the paper was perfect. A check mark means there were a few minor mistakes; the work is acceptable. An “R” means re-do, re-work, revise, and return it to me.

At the beginning of the year, I mark many papers “R” simply because they are incomplete. Have you ever had a student answer only multiple choice questions and skip the rest? Or write two sentences and declare an essay finished? Or write an entire page … on something only tangentially related to the topic? Not acceptable.

At first, students are aghast. “But, Miss, I did this already!” “Nah, no way, I am not doing this again!” “But, Miss, I don’t care! This is good enough!”

“Well, I do care. It is not good enough. Not good enough for me, and not good enough for you.” This argument crops up repeatedly in the first quarter. I use humor and hyperbole to make my point. “Look, let’s pretend I asked you to solve ‘2+2.’ And let’s pretend you wrote ‘5.’ Would you expect me to pat you on the head and move on? Of course not! It’s the same here. I expect you to learn this stuff. It is important. You can do it; I will help. You will do quality work. I will not let you give up. I will not let you fail.”

It takes a little time, but students do learn to complete work, making their best effort the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment